There are many hidden gems in East Central Alberta that are well worth the visit. Here’s a list of some of our favourite area attractions:
- Rosenheim Church (St. Norbert’s Roman Catholic Church), located just south of Provost, AB and north of Bodo, AB, is the largest rural Neo-Gothic church in Alberta. More links: https://www.bigdoer.com/33685/exploring-history/st-norberts/, https://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=5148
- Provost and District Museum, Provost, AB – check out the Hugh Varty Railway Exhibit, displays from the History Channel’s show The Re-Inventors, and pottery from acclaimed Canadian artist, Mary Borgstrom.
- Monitor Mud Buttes, Monitor, AB – located approximately 16 km south of Monitor, the mud buttes are a unique geological feature formed by the Laurentide Ice Sheet. These buttes are one of North America’s largest and most well exposed sites of glacially deformed bedrock.
- Ribstone Creek Brewery, Edgerton, AB – stop by the brewery for some award-winning beer in the taproom!
- Battle River Railway Excursions, Forestburg, AB – a fully functioning short rail line offering several themed excursions throughout the year.
- World Bunnock Championship Tournament, Macklin, SK – held every August long weekend, over 300 teams with people from all over the world battle it out for the title of World Bunnock Champion!
- Provost Kinsmen Splash and Smash, Provost, AB – held in June every year, this is Rural Alberta’s largest motorsports event. It features CMRO Mud Racing, Monster truck Freestyles, Monster truck Ride truck, Lawn Mower Racing, Tough Truck Competition Race, and a Rollover Competition. There are beer gardens all weekend during the event, Live Band Friday Night, concession, souvenirs, and midway rides!
- Wainwright Stampede, Wainwright, AB – four days of action-packed professional rodeo and chuckwagon races, a parade, midway and pancake breakfasts, held in June every year, the Wainwright Stampede offers fun for the whole family.
- Cadogan Rodeo, Cadogan, AB – offers rodeo action, mutton bustin’, wild pony races, trick riding, and a beer garden and dance!
- Czar Lake Bullarama, Shorncliffe Lake, AB – held in July, this is a PBR (Professional Bull Riders) event with bull riding, pony races, beer gardens, a dance and slo-pitch tournament.
Other gems and to-dos:
- Bouma Meats, Provost, AB: high quality meats, cheeses and more.
- Provost Packers, Provost, AB: high quality meats, donuts and sides.
- Cazes’ Fruit Stand, Provost, AB: delicious, seasonal fresh fruit. Open in summer.
- Bean Counter Café, Provost, AB: fresh and delicious food, smoothies and coffee.
- Simply Bee/Lazy Bee Honey, Irma, AB: fresh, local honey and handmade soaps, candles, lotions, lip balms and more!
- Provost & District Golf Club, Provost, AB: 12-hole golf course overlooking Fleeinghorse Lake. Food and drinks available at the clubhouse.
- Hughenden Golf Course, Hughenden, AB: a fun 9-hole course complete with clubhouse and RV park.
- Consort Golf Club, Consort, AB: a beautiful 9-hole course on the slopes of Gooseberry Lake. The course is in Gooseberry Lake Provincial Park which offers many other amenities such as camping, playground, and a spray park.